You can do anything you want if you have a magic wand and are not a muggle, right?
J.K. Rowling will agree with you on the matter. But what about computer science and programming? What can you do with those? The media continuously rambles on how we are surrounded by computers, how computers are starting to take over our lives and blah blah blah. The news is right to some extent. Take Netflix, Facebook and Reddit, for example: these services are extremely fun to use, but do they really help humanity?
In short, can you use computers to do something useful, to help people? Here is a couple of ideas:
- Develop a website that will help people to find the next favorite book (http://www.goodreads.com/).
- Create a website where people from different countries can help each other learn languages (http://livemocha.com/)
- Create an app that will help travelers plan the vacation of their lifetime (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kauai-revealed/id455652701?mt=8)
- Write an app that helps people to count their calories and reach their fitness goals (https://www.myfitnesspal.com/)
- Develop a program that allows people from all over the world communicate and see each other in real time (http://www.skype.com/en/)
- Create a program to help people tell stories in creative and interactive ways (http://twinery.org/)
- Write an app to help people make art (http://www.gimp.org/)
- What about creating a pocket translator for your multicultural German-learning friends? (https://dict.leo.org/pages/smartphones/iOS/ende/manual_de.html)
- Or create software that helps fight bad guys on the internet? (http://usa.kaspersky.com/?_ga=1.221549853.489150818.1440505447)
I like using these technologies, and I think they are a lot of fun. Some of the ones I listed here you could create by yourself, while others are created by teams of people. The question I have to you is: Do you have a favorite desktop program, app, or website that you like to use and wish you could make something like it? Do you have an idea that you would like to bring to life and change the world? If so, allons-y!